Progress and proposed actions
International Year of Evaluation 2015
Progress and proposed actions
Progress made so far
Since declaring EvalYear in Sep 2013, there has been many occasions regional and national Voluntary Organizations for Professional Evaluation (VOPE) joined the initiative. Many VOPE included EvalYear logo in their websites promoting EvalYear and to date the logo is available in 26 different languages. http://mymande.org/evalyear/evalyear-logo-different-languages. EvalYear was declared/endorsed in conferences organized by AfrEA, EvalMENA, European Evaluation Society, UKES, IPEN, Malaysian Evaluation Society, American Evaluation Association, Thailand Evaluation Network, Australasian Evaluation Society, South Asian Parliamentarian Forum for evaluation, African Parliamentarian Forum for Evaluation, 3rd M&E Forum- Philippines and Kenya national evaluation week 2013 organized together with Evaluation Society of Kenya. (Please see the EvalYear website rotating news section for more information http://www.mymande.org/evalyear). EvalYear brochure is now available in English, French, Chinese, Arabic and Spanish. For more information please see the website http://mymande.org/evalyear. Also in April and July 2014 UNEG held high level meetings in Bangkok and New York promoting EvalYear.
Proposed actions for 2015
EvalPartners brings together national/ regional evaluation associations, development partners, parliamentarians, civil society and government representatives to prepare to celebrate 2015 as the International Year of Evaluation and to use the visibility brought to evaluation profession by the EvalYear 2015 to strengthen an evaluation culture in each country.
A series of international events have been planned for 2015, in which an “evaluation torch” will be passed over focusing on four themes:
- Identifying the key future priorities for the global evaluation community to launch the 2016-2020 Global Evaluation Agenda;
- Bridging the gap between the evaluation community (supply side) and the policy makers community (demand side), including Parliamentarians, to ensure good quality, equity-focused and gender-responsive evaluations are demanded and used in policy making;
- Mainstreaming equity-focused and gender-responsive evaluations in Sustainable Development Goals at international level, and in national development strategies at national level;
- Developing equity-focused and gender-responsive National Evaluation policies.
Following are the events scheduled for 2015 in which the “evaluation torch ” will be passed over:
- Celebration for official adoption of the UN resolution on evaluation to be held at UN building, New York on 17 December 2014;
- Evaluation Week organized by IAMR and Planning Commission of India to be held from 19-23 January 2015 in Delhi, India;
- 1EREJournées Ivoiriennes de l’Evaluation, 09-10 et 11 février 2015, Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire, Réseau Ivoirien de Suivi et d’Evaluation (RISE);
- EvalMENA Conference to be held in Cairo, Egypt, from 23-26 February 2015;
- The Israeli Association for Program Evaluation (IAPE) 13th annual conference on “Advocacy for Evaluation” to be held on 2nd March 2015, at the Mandel Institute for Leadership in Beer Sheva, Israel;
- Latin-American and Caribbean Monitoring, Evaluation and Systematization Network (RELAC) 4th International Conference to be held in Lima, Peru, on 9-13 March 2015;
- United Nations Evaluation Group (UNEG) evaluation week to be held in New York, USA, on 9-13 March 2015;
- Conference on taking responsibility in M&E for systemic change to be held in Wageningen, The Netherlands on 19th and 20th March 2015;
- Italian Evaluation Association annual conference to be held on 17 and 18 April 2015 in Genoa, Italy;
- A high level panel discussion and reception to promote EvalYear 2015 organized by the Vienna based international organizations together with the Austrian Ministry of Foreign Affairs will be held in Vienna on 21 April 2015;
- UK Evaluation Society Conference to be held in London, UK on 13 and 14 May 2015;
- Canadian Evaluation Society (CES) conference to be held in Montreal, Canada, on 24-27 May 2015;
- Conference: The future of training and further education in evaluation, 11-12 June 2015, Saarbrücken, Germany;
- Journées Françaises de l’Evaluation, 18-19 juin 2015, Montpellier, France;
- The Aotearoa New Zealand Evaluation Association Conference will be held from July 6-9, 2015, in Auckland - New Zealand under the theme of 'Navigating Evaluation: Making waves in Aotearoa and across the Pacific".
- Swiss Evaluation Society (SEVAL) and Geneva Evaluation Network (GEN) conference to be held in Geneva, Switzerland from 3-4 September 2015;
- Australasian Evaluation Society (AES) conference to be held in Melbourne, Australia, from 5-9 September 2015;
- ADB learning event entitled "Think Sustainable, Act Responsible” organized by Asian Development Bank to be held on 15 and 16 September 2015 in Manila, Philippines;
- International Program Evaluation Network (IPEN) conference to be held the in last week of September 2015;
- CEI EvalYear Conference 2015 to be held from 14-15 October, 2015 in Montego Bay, Jamaica;
- National Evaluation Capacities conference organized by UNDP to be held in Bangkok, Thailand, in October 2015;
- IDEAS Global Assembly to be held in Bangkok, Thailand, in October 2015;
- 2015 Brazilian Monitoring and Evaluation Network Seminar to be held from 21-23 October 2015 in Belo Horizonte-MG, Brazil;
- Russian Association of Specialists in Program and Policy Evaluation Annual Conference to be held from 29-31 October 2015 in Moscow, Russia;
- International conference on Education Evaluation: to ensure quality and development organized by Public Education Evaluation Commission (PEEC) to be held from 4-5 Nov 2015 in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia;
- American Evaluation Association (AEA) conference to be held in Chicago. USA, on 7-15 November 2015.
- Community of Evaluators South Asia (CoE-SA) Evaluation Conclave to be held in the context of Global EvalYear Event from 23 -27 Nov 2015 in Kathmandu.
- Global EvalYear Event to be held from 23 - 27 Nov 2015 in Kathmandu, Nepal which includes EvalPartners 2nd Global Forum to be held in first two days.
The series of international events will culminate in the Global Evaluation Week to be held from 23 - 27 November 2015 at the Parliament of Nepal in Kathmandu. The global event will be organized together with Community of Evaluators – South Asia, Parliamentarians Forum for Development Evaluation and National Parliamentarians Forum for Development Policy in Nepal. This event could also be the opportunity to launch:
- The Global Parliamentarian Forum for Evaluation, as well as EvalParliament, a global partnership for evaluation and evidence-based policy making;
- EvalGender+, the global partnership for equity-focused and gender-responsive evaluations;
- EvalYouth, the global partnership for young evaluators;
- EvalCollaboration, a global initiative to facilitate collaborative evaluations between donor countries and partner countries.
EvalPartners is also facilitating a consultation to generate ideas for the Global Evaluation Agenda for 2016-2020. The Global Evaluation Agenda will guide mainstreaming evaluation at national level and global development agenda. The Global Evaluation Agenda for 2016-2020 will be launched at the Global event in Kathmandu, Nepal.
We invite you to lead an EvalYear 2015 process in your own country and organization. Please share your ideas with Marco Segone and Natalia Kosheleva, EvalPartners Co-chairs, and Asela Kalugampitiya
, EvalPartners Executive Coordinator.